I’ve talked before about the weird, OCD little quirks we all have when it comes to how we do things around the house. I loved hearing what you guys had to share in the comments (it makes us all feel a little better to know we’re not the only ones, doesn’t it?), so I thought I’d do another installment.
So, here is part 2 of my personal quirks:
- After a shower, bath towels must be hung length-wise so they can fully air dry. At the end of the day, I re-hang them from the middle so they look more draped and “prettier” and (in my mind) more like bath towels in bathrooms in magazines. This doesn’t really make sense since I’m just going to insist on hanging them length-wise again the next morning after we shower…but that doesn’t stop me from doing it!
- The coffee table must be just the “right” distance from our sofa and armchairs. Too close, and I feel crowded. Too far away, and you can’t reach your drink or put your feet up on it comfortably.
- Curtains must be pulled back from the center of the window and tucked into our cute tie backs like this, not just pulled back straight like this. (Otherwise, what’s the point of having cute little tie backs? Hmm, Hubby?) 🙂
- Our washcloths are several different colors. I have to fold them and put them away according to color so it looks prettier when I open the linen closet.
- I have never in my life mastered how to fold a fitted sheet, so I just crumple it into a somewhat-rectangle and then hide it behind the properly folded sheets and pillowcases so I don’t have to see it.
- I don’t like to let the canisters on our kitchen counter get too low. They’re clear, so you can see how much coffee, flour, sugar, etc. is in them. I always try to keep them ¾ full. I have no idea why that’s my magic number, but it is. The same goes for the little Q-Tip holder in our bathroom.
- Shoes on the shoe rack in our foyer must be placed with the toes pointing out. This drives The Hubby nuts because it’s easier to just grab your shoes and go when the backs are pointing out (especially on the lower racks). I admit this and agree, but I still think it looks “neater” with the toes first, so I secretly go through and adjust them anyway. I can’t help it.
- We have a light switch at the top and the bottom of our stairs, so depending on where you are when you turn the light on or off, the light switch isn’t always pointing in the “right” direction. (It could be pointing down when it’s actually on.) There’s nothing I can really do about this unless I want to go really OCD and run up and down the stairs until both switches are lined up right, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t still bug me!
So that’s it for me (for this round!).
What weird little rituals and quirks do you have when it comes to your house? Make me feel less crazy by sharing in the comments!
photo credit: UncleVinny