I am all for saving money wherever you can. But reusing paper towels? (Why not just buy dish cloths? You can reuse those, too (a lot more effectively).) Not flushing the toilet to save money on water? (Ew, ew, ew!) Going around tables at a restaurant and eating the scraps that strangers left on their plates? (Also “Ew, ew, ew!”)
There’s frugality, and then there’s…well, they call the show “extreme” for a reason.
My own “extremes”
But, after watching these people go to disgusting measures to save what probably amounts to a few cents, I’ve found myself noticing the “silly” things I do to save a little here and there:
- I will squeeze the life out of a toothpaste tube to make sure I get every last tooth brushing I possibly can from it.
- I take my foot off the gas a good distance away from a stop sign or red light and let my car coast to a stop rather than wasting like a few feet of extra gas. (I got that one from The Hubby.)
- I save every rubber band and twist tie that ever comes into our house. I’m not exactly sure why, but it seems like something always needs to be banded or tied. (And some day, if the Zombie apocalypse hits, I expect to be able to use them to MacGyver my way out of many different situations.) 🙂
- I reuse paper in my printer at home. If we’re just printing off something we’ll only use once, like directions to somewhere, it doesn’t matter if it’s on the back of something else we printed before. I hate throwing out a whole sheet of paper unless I’ve used both sides.
- I reuse my tea bags. I don’t like super-strong tea, and you can get 2 to 3 good mugs of tea out of one bag if you don’t steep it for too long.
I know none of these are worthy of a TLC documentary, but still, it’s funny to think that I’ll do these things and yet I think nothing of “wasting” money in other ways. (I can’t clean up gross messes with a dish cloth, no matter how much better for the environment I know it is. I just want to mop it up with a paper towel and toss it!)
What weird little “extremes” do you go to to save a few cents?
photo credit: justinhenry
Enjoy Blonde & Balanced?
Subscribe and get regular content via email.