It’s unlikely to surprise you that women spend a lot of money on beauty products. After all, there is a term called “pink tax” for a reason, which basically refers to the additional money women pay to look their best. But, how much money does the average woman really spend on beauty products? Well, the answer may shock even the most beauty-obsessed guru.
Average Total Spend on Beauty Products
In a survey conducted by OnePoll, on behalf of Groupon, both American men and women disclosed how much they routinely spend on their appearance. The poll surveyed over 2000 American men and women year-round. According to the study, women spend an average of $3,756 per year on beauty-related expenses. That’s $313 per month on average, and $225,360 over a lifetime! Yikes!
While those numbers certainly seem high, interestingly enough, men aren’t far behind, spending an average of $2,928 per year. But clearly, there is some pink tax at work here! Where are women spending their money? We broke down the averages below:
- Makeup and beauty treatments: $58 per month
- Skin care: $57 per month
- Hair (cuts, colors, products, removal): $58 per month
- Fitness: $106 per month
Although the averages are high, it’s super easy to save money on beauty products!
Budget-Friendly Beauty Alternatives
If you’re looking to save more money (and let’s be honest, who isn’t?), you can look to beauty alternatives to slash your budget. However, never forget that personal finance is totally personal. Whether you choose to spend hundreds of dollars a month on beauty-related, or wear none at all, is totally up to your personal preference. But if you’re looking to cut back on your spending without sacrificing quality, consider some of these budget-friendly beauty ideas.
- Go into your local beauty store and ask her recommendations for the most bang-for-your-buck skincare products.
- Consider working out at home instead of paying for a pricey gym membership or fitness classes.
- Try out drugstore makeup instead of fancy designer brands.
- Save some moola by going one more month between hair colorings.
- Learn to trim your hair at home!
- Use up products you already have! It might seem obvious, but women tend to buy variations of products before they actually run out. And you can clean out your vanity as a bonus!
- Experiment with making your own at-home beauty products.
- Purchase an electronic back massager off Amazon instead of going to the spa.
- Skip paying top-dollar at the nail salon and invest in a DIY gel manicure kit.
And remember, looking and feeling your best is important, but nothing can replace true self-care. You’ll feel more confident when you look good, but also when you get plenty of rest, have fun, eat your veggies, and practice good management of your personal finances!