I am a die-hard brown-bagger. It just makes so much more sense to bring your own lunch to work every day instead of buying lunch out. Plus, you can make your own lunches a lot healthier than the choices you might find at restaurants (or fast food joints).
I am also a creature of habit. If I try a wrap recipe I like, I’ll make wraps for a few weeks straight, trying out different ingredients, types of wrap, etc. Most of the time during the summer, I bring salads to work every day…the different types of salad you can make are never-ending, and I love experimenting with them!
Now that the weather’s turned colder, I am officially on my cold weather soup kick. There is nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a windy, gray day. And, like with salads, the kinds of soup you can make are infinite.
Today I thought I’d share with you some of my current favorite soup recipes. I like to make a big pot of soup on Sunday (when The Hubby is in his football coma), then take Pyrex containers of it to work during the week that I can heat up in the office microwave. Each week is a different soup, so it never gets boring.
Some of my favorite soup recipes right now:
(In case you can’t tell, I get my recipes by doing random searches on allrecipes.com. What can I say…I like being able to see how things are reviewed before trying them!)
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup – You can add any veggie you want to this, and it’s super-filling!
- Ham and Potato Soup – Also nice and filling, and it just tastes like comfort food.
- Black Bean and Salsa Soup – Something a little different, and super-quick to make.
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup – Also something different (and yummy!). You can also make it vegan if you leave out the cheese garnish.
- Homemade Hamburger Soup – I just discovered this one, and The Hubby and I seriously love it!
- Split Pea Soup – Because a soup list wouldn’t be complete with pea soup, at least in my opinion. 🙂
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Bacon Soup – This one takes a while to make (about an hour a half!), so I usually only make it when we’re having guests over. (I brought it to our family Thanksgiving potluck last year, and everyone loved it!) But I saw the name and was so interested I had to give it a try—and it’s well worth the effort!
What favorite soup recipes do you have? I’m looking to add to my recipe book!
photo credit (and all recipes from): allrecipes.com
The tortilla one looks good and people can sub in vegan cheese (Daiya) if they wanted to make it vegan with cheese. Same thing with the black bean – looks like the soup itself is vegan but you can use vegan sour cream as the topping.
Thanks for posting those!
Awesome points! (And the tortilla one IS delicious!) 🙂
These look AMAZING! I can’t wait to try them!!! Thanks for posting them!
You’re very welcome! I plan on sharing all sorts of yummy recipe finds regularly!
I like the variety of flavors you listed. Soups are just perfect for a chilly day! Plus, they are usually healthier and cheaper than a lot of other dishes.
My current favorite soup is Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup. YUM!
Ooo, that sounds good! I need to get into using a slow cooker…it would be so nice to come home from work and have the kitchen smelling delicious and dinner just waiting for us!
The Black bean and salsa soup sounds awesome. I love fixing soup now that it is starting to get cold. Most of the time it’s a quick fix and can last for a few meals.
I am a die hard brown bagger too!
Those wraps look fantastic.
I like to make a whole pot of rice and beans and then freeze them in containers, and microwave them for the rest of the week. It gets kinda boring after awhile but I try and spice it up at dinner time so it makes up for it!
Plus going out to eat = unhealthy options.
I’m the same way when it comes to lunches. If I find something that works, I stick with it for a while till I need a change. What can I say, I’m a creature of habit!