Last week, I came across Bargain Babe’s list of 44 things she never buys, and I loved it! First of all, aren’t we all a little curious about how other people live their lives? Or am I just a PF voyeur who likes to see inside how other people save money?
Second of all, it got me thinking. What sorts of things do I avoid paying for? Are they intentional choices, or just things I don’t use? And, perhaps most importantly, can I beat Bargain Babe’s 44?
So, I’ve been keeping track as I think of things since that post, and here’s what I’ve come up with:
45 things I never pay money for (ha-ha!)
1. Bottled water. We have a Brita filter and fill reusable water bottles when we need some H2O on the go.
2. Coffees on the go. The occasional coffee date with a girlfriend? Sure. But if I’m just heading to work? It’s a thermos from home or the break room coffee from our office coffee machines.
3. Pre-cut fruits and veggies. I prefer them fresh, anyway.
4. Single-serving meals.
5. Car payments (anymore! hooray!).
6. Oil changes. If I can do them myself, anyone can.
7. Movie tickets. We only go if we get free passes. Renting is so much cheaper!
8. Snacks at the movies. If you go to a theater located in a mall and happen to bring a Victoria’s Secret or Urban Outfitters shopping bag in with you, no one will assume you weren’t shopping and instead are sneaking in Subway and dollar store candy.
9. Body wash or hand/body lotion. I ask for them for Christmas and my birthday, which keeps me stocked for the year!
10. Hair cuts. I let my curls do as they may and trim them myself when the ends start to need it. (Yes, I even cut my own bangs! It can be done!)
12. Any makeup beyond foundation and a little mascara.
13. Gym membership. My PS3 Zumba is all I need.
14. Wrapping paper. Yup, I’m that annoying person who unwraps gifts veeeery carefully and saves every gift bag and ribbon to reuse later.
15. Cigarettes. I don’t smoke, so I’m not sure that should really count, but I want to get up to 44!
16. Fast food. Same as above.
17. Crack cocaine. OK, now I’m just being ridiculous. I’ll stop with the frivolous ones after this, I promise.
18. Apps. It’s free or no app for me.
19. Trash bags. We just reuse plastic shopping bags.
20. Parking for concerts and events. We don’t mind walking a little!
21. Candy. I just don’t have the taste for it anymore.
22. Disposable dishes, cups, silverware.
23. Disposable cleaning wipes.
24. Name brand anything I can find a store brand for instead.
25. Music. I love my Pandora and Spotify; they’re all I need.
26. Checking and savings account fees.
27. ATM fees.
28. Credit card annual fees.
29. Professional tax prep. The free sites work just fine for us.
30. TV. With Hulu, why pay?
31. Dog grooming. It’s not always fun (and it’s definitely not always neat!), but I wash and trim Big Dog and Little Dog myself.
32. Gourmet ice cream. We are ice cream fiends (one of my guilty pleasures), but a carton of store brand ice cream, mix-ins like peanut butter chips and cookie crumbles, and a little creativity is just as yummy.
33. Magazines. I’m a bookworm.
34. Books. If I like what I read from the library or borrow from a friend, I ask for it as a present. Most books I only want to read once and not come back to, so why buy?
35. Minor household repairs. DIY!
36. Car washes. Professional, anyway. We pay for the hose, water, soap, and occasional soap bubble fight.
37. Dry cleaning.
38. Extended warranties. For the most part, they’re useless (and hardly cover anything).
39. Prescription antibiotics. Whenever one of us (unfortunately) needs them, many common antibiotics are free at local grocery stores and pharmacies. Check out what you can get!
40. Tanning. Not healthy and not necessary when you live outside like I do in the summer time!
41. Photo printing. We got a great digital photo frame for our wedding and keep various USB drives full of different pics (the dogs, vacations, etc.) that we switch out from time to time to keep things fresh.
42. Return address labels. I donate to enough pet charities I have enough cute doggy and kitty labels to hold us over for a long time.
43. Brown bags for my “brown bag lunches.” I use a cute insulated bag instead. (Sorry to ruin the series title for you guys!)
44. The local newspaper. It’s all online!
45. Batteries. We bought rechargables and a recharger a while back, so no more new purchases!
And so (although I confess I ran out of steam and gave up just when I had beaten Bargain Babe, hahaha), that is my list. (PS – I hearted your post, Bargain Babe. No hard feelings?)
What about you guys? What would be on your “never pay for” list?
photo credit: Truthout.org